The Loumeau Family

The Loumeau Family

Monday, December 20, 2010

My TSA Story

I was traveling from Houston (IAH) on Sunday, December 19, 2010 with my husband and 2 year old daughter. We prepared for screening as normal, emptying our liquids and dividing the small liquids in Ziploc bags. I enter the metal detector and am not cleared because of the excessive number of hair pins I left in my hair from a wedding the night before. I am told to hand my child to my husband so I can get pat down. Fine, I get it.

As I am waiting, a TSA agent tells me (not my husband), that our stroller will be coming out of a different scanner. I am then informed that I cannot touch anything, not even my daughter until I am cleared from the pat down. I then wait a few minutes (not seconds) for a TSA agent (while my husband is left on his own to care for a 2 year old and gather all of our belongings).

The TSA agent (Agent A) then begins her speech of what she is going to do. I interrupt her to ask for clarification on what the exact policy is for the pat down, where she begins to get irritated with me and continues on her prepared speech without answering my question. During this speech, I’m watching my husband and daughter to make sure everything is going okay. I then see the stroller going out of the other scanner and call to my husband so he can get it. TSA Agent A then yells at me and runs to grab someone else’s belongings. As I’m trying to explain to her that those are not my belongings and I was just pointing the stroller out to my husband, another agent (Agent B, LT50 Demeke) comes up to yell at me as well. Agent B, LT50 Demeke, informs me that I was being incredibly disrespectful and called it upon herself to oversee and verbally abuse me throughout the duration of the pat down. She also walks over to my husband to lecture him on how his wife needs to learn respect for the sake of our daughter.

I am then cleared and ask for Agent B’s name and ID badge number. Agent B, LT50 Demeke, then scatters my boarding documents over a table, grabs my driver’s license and boarding document, and takes it to her post to write down my information. When I tell her she has no right to take my things like that (remember she was not the individual who was assigned to perform my pat down), she told me that she did indeed have that right and also had the right to have me arrested if she wanted. She kindly gives me back my documents along with her name and wishes me a Merry Christmas.

I arrive at my destination and find that the bag that I checked did not leave the Houston airport. After speaking with a retired airport employee, I am quite certain that Agent B, LT 50 Demeke, used my identification and boarding documents to pull my suitcase off my flight for further inspection (of course with no intent other than pure malice).

This incident makes me sick. As an American citizen, I should have the right to not be harassed like this. TSA needs to have checks and balances. They should not be the god of the airport where they can do whatever they want to passengers. Agent B, LT50 Demeke, should be put on probation at the very least for this malicious and abusive behavior, if not fired. We deserve a right to speak up and create real change.

Another concern I have is this: what if my husband wasn’t there? Who would have looked after my daughter and belongings if I couldn’t touch them? I am scared to find out. So scared that I honestly feel sick thinking of flying again.

Please send this to anyone who will listen. Something needs to change. Mothers and families should not be targeted by TSA like this. Terrorists should be targeted. This is malicious, destructive behavior that needs to stop. If we don’t do something now, how far will we let it go? How many more basic rights will be taken away in the name of safety?

13 comments:

  1. I am sorry this happened to you.

    Unfortunately, the non-violent answer at present is a) write to every elected official who represents you (up to and including President Obama) asking that they take the necessary steps to safeguard your Constitutional civil liberties, and b) inform the airlines that you will not fly again until the TSA and DHS no longer interferes with your right to travel freely within the United States of America.

    Money talks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) presents one of the most dangerous and certainly the most obscene threat to liberty in all history. Never before has any regime anywhere, no matter how brutal or despotic, routinely irradiated and sexually assaulted its citizens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I will not fly again unless absolutely necessary. I am appalled at how my civil liberties were trampled on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am appalled and sorry that you've had to experience this. None of this should be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I booked my flight before the scanners and enhanced pat down were in place. I didn't sign up for the pointless, useless, harassing TSA policy.

    I flew alone to see my family for the holidays. Something I do almost every year. I too had to wait a long time before a female was available to do my private pat down. My carryon items ($,laptop and most importantly all my medicine and durable medical equipment) were left unattended for at least 15-20 minutes. I traveled alone so I had no one to help look after my items and I couldn't see them at all during my pat down nor when I was waiting for a pat down.

    I couldn't go through the metal detector because of a medical device in my back. I will NEVER allow them to take a naked photo and so I was forced to have them touch my entire body and pull out my pants to wipe for explosives. What a joke and waste of time. I don't want to fly again. It isn't right. But I cannot afford the train nor gas for driving myself. I can barely tollerate sitting for a 3-4 hour flight, and driving that same distance would take 5 days each way with hotel stays each night!

    Why are we allowing the terroists to win and take away our freedoms (right to privacy as well freedom to travel between states)

    I do not believe what they are doing is keeping us more safe. Only a cavity search could do what they want and are we ready to let them do that??? I don't understand why a virtual cavity search isn't protested the same way as if a live cavity search were done..either way they are treating us with the rights equal to that a convicted felon. Even a police officer could not touch us in the same way without probable cause that we were in the process of committing a crime! Where do we stop this slippery slope of losing our most basic individual rights!?!?!

    And do any of you really believe they delete the body scanned photos? God forbid, what if something happened on a plane, don't you think the first place they'd look are the body scanned images for that day so they could see what they missed! Of course they keep them for some period of time!

    During my experience, I told the pat down offials that it was my intention to be as nasty to them as possible, complain as much as possible, especially that the were violating my 4th Amendment rights, so that I could make the experience as awful for them as it was for me. I informed them that maybe if they complained to higher ups about how much they hated to do this job, the TSA higher ups would listen to their employees complaints... because they are obviosuly ignoring public opposition to this new policy. The only other way to make them feel our outrage is to stop flying. Get the airline execs to lose so much business that they complain to TSA!

    I also recommend taking as much carry on items as possible and fill as many bins as possible, then ask for a PRIVATE screening, so the TSA official has the burden to juggle all your carry on items to you after the search is done. Anything you can do to make them feel the pain has got to be good for the public in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must insist that we keep our rights, else we will lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your story, Amy. I cannot believe that your belongings were left unsupervised for so long! I too booked these flights before I had any knowledge of the new TSA regulations and may have altered my travel plans had I known what I would have to endured.

    What can we do? How do we keep our rights?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm scared too. But don't worry. God will get thelm back. He always does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teach your children about liberty and correct history. Only vote for people who talk openly about liberty and the constitution. Voice your concerns with the airline and the airport. Airports have the ability to opt out of TSA service witch is the most poorly run security service of all time and it is run by the government. It's like postal workers at the airport in charge of security.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God will not put them back. You have to.

    There will never ever be a solution in this system.

    Here go to WWW.TheVenusProject.com and WWW.TheZeitgeistMovement.com and watch Zeitgeist Addendum on youtube.

    "Zeitgeist Moving Forward", movie is coming out Next month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully she was killed by a drunk driver on the way home - too harsh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.ronpaul.com/2010-11-22/ron-paul-the-revolt-against-tsa

    Join the Ron Paul Revolution.
    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  13. I urge everyone to file a complaint on TSA's website every time they fly or don't fly. https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/DynaForm.aspx?FormID=10

    I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. Something similar has happened to me at IAH airport with very rude female TSA agents who have threatened to have me arrested for asking questions and asking them not to be rude to me. On a separate occasion they even threatened my 70 something year old mother.

    ReplyDelete